Apply today for one of our
Tree Grant Programs!
Tree Planting Grant
We purchase 15 gallon trees from local nurseries and organize volunteer or educational tree planting opportunities. Volunteers are trained on International Society of Arboriculture tree planting standards on site. Students learn about the importance of trees and participate in planting one tree during school hours. Our planting season is during the winter months from mid-October to mid-March. Our goal is to plant more trees to invest in environmental, social, economic, and public health benefits.
- Meet our staff on site to tour area and discuss goals of tree planting project.
- Species Availability 2019-2020
- Final planting plans including “x” marks the spot and the species to be planted must be approved by the site partner.
- Student Tree Planting
- Elementary School Level, 1-6 trees, 1-6 classes
- Middle School Level, 3-12 trees, 1-4 classes
- High School Level, 4-12 trees, 1-4 classes
- Replacement Tree Planting
- Tree planting location must be clear of old stump before tree planting date
- Volunteer Tree Planting
- Weekday, 1-16 trees
- Saturday morning, 17-25 trees
- June 30, 2020: Priority Applications for October 2020-March 2021 Planting Season Due
- Year Round: Rolling Applications Accepted
- April – July, 2020: Site visits
- May 1 – August 31, 2020: Confirm a date on our tree planting calendar
- June 30, 2020: Deadline to approve final site plan
- June 30, 2020: Deadline to submit DFK (Greenville County Schools only)
Community Tree Giveaway Grant
Thanks to Duke Energy, TreesUpstate has given away over 4,000 FREE trees in upstate neighborhoods. Energy-saving trees reduce utility bills, reduce air pollution, and improve air and water quality which is good for public health. By planting the right tree in the right place, you can reduce energy consumption by up to 20 percent each year.
Plant a tree today and grow benefits that last a lifetime.
Apply for your neighborhood to host an Energy-Savings Trees: Neighborhood Tree Giveaway event.
- TreesUpstate will order native trees in 3- or 7-gallon containers, based on availability.
- Example tree species: redbud, red maple, blackgum, oak species, American hornbeam
- TreesUpstate will deliver trees to the Resident Coordinator.
- TreesUpstate will assist in staffing the tree giveaway event with educational materials and tree planting demonstrations. Tree giveaway events may last 2 hours between January and April.
- Small tree giveaway event of 25 trees (15 tree recipients minimum)
- Large tree giveaway event of 50 trees (30 tree recipients minimum)
Tree Care Grant
TreesUpstate recommends applying for a tree care grant 2-3 years after a tree planting event. Our goal is to help establish young trees to set them up to reach maturity healthily and continue to offer environmental, social, economic, and public health benefits.
- Tool Rental
- Mulch Donation
- Fertilizer Donation
- Pruning Workshop
- Summer Tree Care Weekday Volunteer Event
- Mulching & pruning (within ground reach) any trees on site
- TreesUpstate crew provides volunteer training, tools, & coordination
Schedule your tree care workshop (required to receive the tree planting grant and the tree care grant) at www.treesupstate.org/who-we-are/tree-care-workshops/