We’re back in person for 2021! And we’re so excited to don our turkey costumes and be downtown. Here’s our Covid readiness plan.
2021 Events – Race Course: Downtown Greenville SC / Cleveland Park / Prisma Health Swamp Rabbit Trail
2021 TURKEY DAY EVENTS:
- 8k Run (USATF Certified Course)
- 5k Fun Run & Walk
NEW Start Times:
- 8:00 am – 8k and 5k start by gun time for runners who will finish under 7:25 min/mile. This is the start time for those in it to win overall 1st, 2nd, 3rd place.
- 8:02 am until about 8:25 am – Participants will self seed by pace when they register.
- 8:02 am until about 8:25 am – Just start running when you get to the start line.
- All age division awards are by chip time.
Adaptive cyclists, strollers, running joggers allowed. Please start in the appropriate pace corral.
Scroll down on the page to see Corrals.
Please, only sign up for 7:25 min/mile and under if that is actually your pace. Corral A is for a 7:25 min/mile pace and under. Corral A is for the people running to win cash prizes and running to win their age division. I know you may have a turkey to get in the oven. Nevertheless, Corral A is competitive.
Thank you in advance for putting yourself in the appropriate corral.
We are currently working with the City on the 2021 race courses. Please check back. We anticipate the Start Line and the separate Finish Line to be on S. Main street in front of the Greenville Drive Stadium. The general direction we expect: Probably that the 8k course heads down S. Main St., heads to Cleveland Park, and works it’s way back up to S. Main St. Possible 5k course: heads down S. Main St., makes a left on W. Broad, goes up W. Washington, gets on the SRT, and rejoins the 8k course on River St near the Children’s Garden.
A Safe Return to Racing
The race will look a little different this year to ensure a safe return to racing. As of now, these are the biggest changes:
- During registration, you will choose your start time & corral based on your expected finish time.
- Each corral will be limited to 300 people.
- Are you going to win? The fast people will sign up for the first corral during registration and will start at 8am sharp with a gun start. All other corrals will be chip time. If you think you will be an overall winner, start at 8am.
- The only corral with a mass start is the 8am corral. And it is limited to 300 people. Please, do not sign up for this corral if you do not expect to finish with a pace of less than 7:25 min/mile.
- The start line will be open from 8am to 8:25am.
- If your start time is between 8:02am and 8:25am, when you get to the start area…just GO! Start running!
- All age division awards will be chip time.
- No 1/4 mile Tot Trot this year for social distancing (hopefully we can bring this caped event for toddlers back next year).
- If you prefer, you can pay for shipping and your race shirt and bib will be mailed to you.
This past year we’ve all learned to be flexible. We have no idea what the fall may bring and what modifications and changes will be required to keep everyone safe per the Governor of SC, the CDC and SCDHEC. We will keep you updated.
Overall & Age Group Awards
Cash awards for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place finishers will be based on gun time. Age Group Awards for the top 3 finishers in each age group will be based on chip time. The Top 3 Age Group Finishers will receive an award.
ALL awards will be available for in-store pick-up at Fleet Feet Sports Greenville starting November 26th during regular store hours. Their address is 635 Augusta St., Greenville SC 29605.
Three Age Group Categories
Male, Female and Non-Binary: 10 and under, 11-15, 16-20, 21-25, 26-30, 30-35, 36-40, 41-45, 46-50, 51-55, 56-60, 61-65, 66-70, 70-74, 75-79, 80+.
The Race Shirt
We’re using the same exact shirt as the 2018 and 2020 race shirt. Different color. Adult shirts are long sleeve and super soft blend. The youth shirts are long sleeve technical youth shirts. Based on runner feedback, THE SHIRTS RUN SMALL – ORDER A SIZE UP. You can find a fit guide by clicking here.
Packet Pick-Up & In Person Registration
West End Events at Fluor Field (Greenville Drive Stadium)
Field Street Entrance
Wednesday, November 24th – 10am to 6pm
Thursday, November 25th – Race Day – 6:30am – 7:45am
In person registration is available on Wednesday during packet pick-up and Thursday until 7:30am.
Register by 10/31/2021 11:59pm EST to have your race shirt and race bib mailed to you with enough time to receive it on or before Monday 11/22/2021.
We are not responsible for USPS losing your race shirt.
If your shirt and race bib do not arrive, we’ll make a new race bib for you at packet pick-up and we’ll give you a new race shirt if we have that size available.
TreesUpstate’s Energy Saving Trees, presented by Duke Energy
There will be a limited number of trees available first come first served, while supplies last. Learn more about this program.
Costume Contest Sponsored by Fleet Feet Sports Greenville
One of our favorite things about this race have been the costumes! We love seeing all of the pilgrims and turkeys and creative fall motifs.
To enter the contest, post a picture to social media on Thanksgiving Day. So we know who you are, remember to post the picture with your assigned bib # to social media and tag us @treesupstateturkeyday8k
The 1/4 Mile Tot Trot – Sorry, not this year.
For anyone who has seen the organized chaos of a flash mob of toddlers running with us on Thanksgiving Morning…you know social distancing isn’t going to happen. For everyone else, please take our word on it. We will bring back this caped event as soon as it is safe to do so.
City of Greenville lots are FREE PARKING on Thanksgiving Day.
POLICIES & REFUNDS
This event is Rain or Shine.
Will there be an awards ceremony? No. All awards can be picked up at Fleet Feet starting on Friday during regular business hours.
Can I bring my dog? Please leave Fido at home.
Can I wear headphones? Doesn’t bother us. Stay safe out there.
Do I need to register my child who will be riding in a stroller or running jogger? No.
Does this race benefit a nonprofit? Yes. It’s benefits TreesUpstate. We’re a nonprofit. Thanks for running with us 🙂
Are strollers allowed? Yes, on both courses.
Can someone else pick-up my race packet? Yes, please. It’s actually a huge help when someone picks up lots of race packets. It keeps the lines shorter. If possible, have your bib numbers written down. No ID is required at packet pick-up.
Will you send out bib numbers before packet pick-up to save time? Yes.
Where do I find the results? A link will be emailed to you.
I made a mistake on my registration? Can I email you about a change? Yes. Email us at email@example.com
2009-2020 Race Results: